Hy-Gain DX88 Antenna Repair

IMG_20151107_121130

 

Repair of a Hy-Gain DX88 Multi Band HF antenna.

I was fortunate to obtain this antenna this summer and have been excited to raise it up in my yard of growing antennas. However it was not without some basic repair to make it work properly. Initial inspection revealed a overall good condition antenna. All elements were in good shape and fit together very well. However, the base insulating mounting feed point had a big crack in it and the connection of the feed point to the radiation element was not very sound. I was looking at some level of disassemble and rebuild.

 

Cracked Base

Insulating Base

Other parts of this base had a level of corrosion that would have made a connection poor. I had to also drill out a old bolt that had it’s head broken off and then find a new location in the aluminum cap to re-set a new bolt. There is not much I could do with the crack. I suppose I could have filled it with some CA glue and powder filler but at this time I moved on.

 

 

 

I did clean up the aluminum cap and find a bolt that would tap into the existing hole that happened to be there. This hole is opposite to the original connection on the opposite side of this cap. Lucked out and it happened to exist. Saved me from having to drill and tap a new mounting point.

Dirty Corroded Cap on the Base

Dirty Corroded Cap on the Base

I took some sanding and filing to clean up the dark aluminum cap on the base but it went quickly

 

 

 

 

 

Cleaned Base Cap

Cleaned Base Cap

 

Here is the cap cleaned up to make a improved connection. I also re tapped the hole lightly just to make a good connection.

 

 

 

Re-Installed Base

Re-Installed Base

Re assembled the base in the normal fashion and got the base assembly ready for a lower mast.

 

 

 

 

 

Lower Mast Installed

Lower Mast Installed

Lower mast installed and a new bolt inserted to make a fine connection between the feed point and the radiating mast.

 

 

 

 

 

Upper Insulator

Upper Insulator

Upper Insulator looked reasonable and I did a bit of tightening of bolts and left it as is. This assembly was now ready to connect to the rest of the antenna and get raised to the sky.

 

 

 

 

I am happy with this antenna performance, however, being a vertical it does pick up all signals and a level of atmospheric noise that other antennas that I have don’t. It’s angle of radiation is lower than my raised ground plane radial antenna. I have had to make a ground plane consisting of 12 radials and that is still too few. I will increase it over time to 36 if I can. In the meantime work in the antenna farm is crazy having to battle the mosquito’s that are around by the hundreds. I really hate using Bug Spray…

 

One Response to Hy-Gain DX88 Antenna Repair

  1. Pingback: Hy-Gain DX88 Antenna Repair | North of 49 Technologies

Leave a Reply