This season the DX-88 antenna broke at the base again, this time the post at the insulating bell broke off. I guess it was time I gave the antenna another good overhaul. In this image, the cylinder that contains the mast conductor ring at the top of the insulator broke off at the base just above the bell portion.
I had to rebuild this device using CA glue and very fine powder micro-balloons that are made of glass. Fortunately this was successful and I managed to assemble the antenna again. In the meantime I will go through the whole antenna and give it a good tightening and moderate cleaning. Some moisture was observed in the lower long tubular capacitors for 40 M and 80 M.